Memorial Sachsenhausen "Station Z"
Sachsenhausen/1998 – 2005
Between 1936 and 1945, Sachsenhausen was used to train concentration camp commandants and SS soldiers, and to experiment on the concentration camp system. Located just outside Berlin, Sachsenhausen is an important place of remembrance. The concept behind the Sachsenhausen Memorial won first prize at an international competition in 1998. It aims to make the harrowing reality of the camp tangible, and to illustrate its totalitarian geometry. Visitors are not engulfed in information, but rather enabled to draw their own conclusions. As such, it provides a fitting and dignified memorial that encourages intense reflection. The abstract shell that shrouds “Station Z” emphasises the intentional, artificial emptiness of the site, amplifying the hopeless situation of the prisoners.
- Mission: General project plan, new construction of protective structure, exhibition planning and design
- Client: Stiftung Brandenburgischer Gedenkstätten (Foundation Brandenburg Memorials)
- Year: 1998-2005